Yeah, it was funny to watch the teenagers’ faces when I said that Sunday morning in the teen room! But you know, I think they got the point…
Over the last month, we’ve been talking about being contagious – are we contagious, what are we contagious with, and how do we become contagious. So, Ken taught the last Thurs night of the series and I got to do the last Sun morning (so cute – husband and wife, long-distance tag team).
So, here’s my notes from class – enjoy, laugh a little, and maybe even you will catch the STD from God (Spiritually Transmitted Disease).
Living things have a natural desire to reproduce…
– Infections attack the cells in your body, why? To reproduce
– Plants produce colorful, fragrant blooms, why? So I can pick them and put them in a vase? No, to attract pollen-carrying insects – To reproduce
– Birds grow crazy features, sing crazy songs, and do crazy dances, why? To reproduce (Planet Earth’s Birds of Paradise) – Yes, I did this dance that I have come to call the “Egyptian Chicken Dance”
– Elks and Lions fight, sometimes to the death, over a female why? To reproduce
Why do they want to reproduce?
– Survival of the Fittest – biggest, prettiest, strongest, fastest
– Continue their breed/species – avoid extinction
As believers, we have a desire to spread our “epidemic” (The Great Commission). But God has called us to be leaders and as leaders we have a natural desire to reproduce.
Reproduce what? Infected people
How do I reproduce infected people? Get an STD (Spiritually Transmitted Disease) from God
You are called to be a leader so your initial infection comes from God – not teachers, parents, or friends who experience God
How do you get an STD? Intimacy
– with God, you have to let Him into places He’s never been before, even the places you don’t want anyone to see
How do you spread an STD? Intimacy
– with people
Epidemics are airborne – Ken talked about the symptoms that cause the epidemic to spread (sneezing, coughing, vomiting) – even people you don’t know can catch it because they see/watch you, walk by you, listen to (eavesdrop on) you, but may not talk to you
STDs are contact diseases – you have to be in relationship with someone to give them a STD
Once you have the STD, as you build relationships (this takes work, they don’t “just happen”), they get the STD, but also as you reproduce as a leader, those things you reproduce will also have the STD (be it dreams or people)
And the [instructions] which you have heard from me along with many witnesses, transmit and entrust [as a deposit] to reliable and faithful men who will be competent and qualified to teach others also. – 2 Timothy 2:2 (AMP)
How do you know you have this type of relationship?
– Do they see the good?
– Do they see the bad?
– Do they see the ugly?
This isn’t a “let’s be friends” type of a relationship. This is a “I need you, I see God in you, I need the God in you” type of relationship. It’s also a “I love you, but I’m mad at you, you hurt my feelings, you broke my heart, you betrayed me, you didn’t do what I wanted you to do” type of relationship. (And yes, you can say those things to God). And a “I have a secret” type of relationship (and I’m not talking about gossip)
Iron sharpens iron; so a man sharpens the countenance of his friend [to show rage or worthy purpose]. – Proverbs 27:17 (AMP)
Confess to one another therefore your faults (your slips, your false steps, your offenses, your sins) and pray [also] for one another, that you may be healed and restored [to a spiritual tone of mind and heart]. The earnest (heartfelt, continued) prayer of a righteous man makes tremendous power available [dynamic in its working]. – James 5:16 (AMP)
These relationships don’t start out at this level, they may start out as “hey, my name is…” And that’s what the time before classes is for, and that’s what our small groups are for.
Who is the person in your life right now that you need to start this type of relationship with? Let’s take the next few minutes
- If you don’t know God at all – If you confess with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. – Romans 10:9
- If that person is God
- It may be the “Hey God, my name is….” convo (ppl in Group #1 are now in this group)
- It may be the “I love you but I’m mad at you” conversation
- It may be the “I have a secret” conversation
- You may already have the a STD from God and now it’s time to start building relationships and reproducing
- Think of that person that you may want as a mentor, or someone on your team that God is calling you to this type of relationship
i. “I need you”
ii. “I love you, but I’m mad at you”
iii. “I have a secret”
You have to start with one person. Grab a sheet of paper and write a letter – either to God or to that one person you want to start reproducing with as a leader. Write down all the things you would want to say to them.
If you wrote your letter to God, He already knows, He just needed you to say it. If you wrote your letter to a person, I challenge you to give it to that person and have that conversation to start you on the path of spreading your STD and reproducing infected people.